Monday, August 29, 2005

not some high class broad

Country singer Gretchen Wilson has capitulated to the Tennessee attorney general's request that she stop glorifying the use of smokeless tobacco at her shows.
That was quick, but I assume the decision came from the same record label handlers who made her do it in the first place. Now, I have nothing bad to say about Wilson herself, as I would certainly sell out in a heartbeat for most any price, but I also hope that this action will deprive her of her "outlaw country" status. Waylon and Willie never did it like this, and we will be listening to them long after our Big and Rich and Gretchen Wilson CD's become an embarrassment and we try in vain to unload them at the Great Escape.
Also, kudos to Paul Summers for not being afraid to overstep his bounds. It is hard to believe that all the Tennessee Waltz corruption was going on with such a keen legal mind like that on the job. There might be meth labs flourishing all over this state, but at least our little girls won't walk away from country music concerts with the aspiration to spit tobacco.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

Actually, now that Summers has succeeded and Wilson has caved, I really feel a perverse desire to take up chewing tobacco. I'd be a REAL rebel, then.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I somehow made it through growing up in small town Alabama and playing football without ever trying dip or chewing tobacco.

You are such the Redneck Woman, Auntee.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Greetings, Huck.

I shouldn't be commended too much, as I more than made up for it with cigarettes and beer in high school.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

There was plenty of pot smoking in the audience and no arrests when I saw Dylan a few years back. I saw Phish at the same venue and could hardly see the stage for all the pot smoke, but there were still no arrests.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home