Thursday, June 30, 2005

more signs

college heights
The sign for College Heights shopping center by campus is my favorite from the Murfreesboro area. The center houses a tattoo parlor, Laundromat, comic book store, barber college, and Asian restaurant of some sort. There are a couple of other things and I could be wrong on some I listed, but that is close enough. There was a good little bar and a used CD and bong shop there when I was in school, but that side of the center was bought and torn down by the University a few years back. I was never really clear on what happened and why, but I think it had something to do with a possible parking lot that never materialized. It doesn’t really matter now, as the sign obviously survived. That was the important thing.
murfreesboro's imperial inn
This is the sign for Murfreesboro’s Imperial Inn. It was once part of a chain of hotels known as “Imperial 400”. The chain still exists in Canada. This one seceded long ago and still boasts “weekly rates”, “kitchen units”, and “Color Cable TV”. It undoubtedly houses any number of meth labs at the moment, and will possibly be on the chopping block at some point, as it is located on prime real estate along Broad Street. Then again, perhaps commercial interests will stay focused on expanding Murfreesboro and leave us with a bit of architectural history and steady supply of downtown meth.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wally Bangs said...

Nice post Rex. Though I left Murfreesboro, I love seeing things that have been there forever.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's all have a moment of silence for the long gone 'pronto's' sandwich shop that used to be in that demolished area... mmmmmm pronto's... ella minopy actually played in the corner of that place one time for free food... i sure could go for a ham & cheese pronto style right now... 'pronto ned' sure made the best sub...

you are sorely missed...

tha b.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Wally Bangs said...

I was a huge fan of B&L Pizza, which fell victim to MTSU's real estate envy. I spent many an afternoon there downing pitchers of beer along with an ocassional pizza. Plus my first band, The Dislocated played there a couple of times.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Prontos! I couldn't remember the name of that place.

Mmmmm...downing pitchers of beer.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home