Thursday, June 23, 2005

a range of gargoyles

A gargoyle is supposed to be a waterspout, technically speaking. It comes from the French word “gargouille”, which means throat. It’s where we get the word “gargle”.

I mention this to lead back into vacation slides. Here are a couple of the gargoyles that greet one upon entering the Biltmore estate in Ashville, NC.

the gargoyles at the biltmore
Pretty bastards indeed. I’ve always had a fondness for gargoyles. They have been domesticated into little evil and grotesque adornments for the outside of your house. They stand along side the gnome, jockey, angel and cat statues at the gardening store, yet seem timeless and more elegant. They frighten children and spook house pets. Were it up to me I would fill my yard with them. However, as it stands, there is only one on the grounds of Casa Camino.
the gargoyle at casa camino
He is rather small and unintimidating, resembling more Triumph the insult comic from Conan O’brien than something one would see hanging off the side of Notre Dame. This little guy frightens no children and spooks no pets. He has done nothing to ward off door-to-door solicitors or neighbors.
Yet I like him, this lesser of gargoyles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stella said...

This goes along with I'm About To Be Brilliant's Ghostbusters tribute she recently wrote about.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics - I love gargoyles!
www.firegargoyle.com

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home