Thursday, August 04, 2005

eat a peach

Maybe I could just do a half-assed job of meeting this challenge. I find that I can accomplish quite a bit if I am not expected to employ the full ass.
What makes me happy today and on most days when there is decent weather and a long stretch of traffic light free highway is Eat a Peach by the Allman Brothers' Band.
I avoided this album for the longest time. When I was a high school punk it was too jamband, and when I was into jambands early on in college it was too country or southern rock. But when I had finally matured enough to appreciate the music of my homeland, it was still there waiting for me.
The great thing about southern rock was that it recaptured everything that was great about rock in the first place. It was a mix of the black and white cultures, drew heavily from the music of the mountains and of the Mississippi delta, and was performed by poor white southerners who played their hearts out and would gladly kick your ass if you didn't like it.
Well, perhaps that isn't correct in the case of the Allmans. They always had a bit more of the hippy element than Lynyrd Skynyrd or Molly Hatchet. Also, they were one of the only interracial southern rock bands.
So go out and purchase yourself a copy today if you do not already own one. Then go out and borrow or steal steal a convertable and find a good long stretch of open road.
Whatever problems you had before will be long gone by the tiny Dickie Betts starts into "Blue Sky".

5 Comments:

Blogger red molly said...

You do have great taste in music. "Blue Sky" is one of our favorite road songs. You have the right idea about riding in a convertible. We don't have a convertible but Mr. Red Molly has a car with a sun/moon roof and we love to open the roof throw the music up very load (especially if I'm under the influence of something). It's a very happy moment. Great record.

3:37 PM  
Blogger mapgirl said...

Well, it's not on "Eat a Peach," but the song "Midnight Rider" brought a huge moment to one of my friends this past week. She lost a brother a couple months ago. She called to tell me she was driving near her home in Tucson and saw some patches of sun on the mountains, in a really cool pattern, just as that song came on her car stereo, and in her mind's eye she saw her brother crossing over the mountain into the sunny portion. It brought her a lot of comfort and just made her day ... your post made me think of that. There is nothing quite like the power of great music.

m.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I agree completely, mapgirl.

Strangely enough, I always think about "Eat a Peach" when somebody dies because it was being recorded when Duane had his fatal crash. Most of the subsequent songs deal with that, but in a very positive way.

I also have a sun/moon roof, red molly, and have found that it enhances music greatly. Now if I could only learn to steer with my feet while leaning out of it I would have something.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At 37, I'm amazed at how much music I thought was below me as a teenager, and now that I've matured (a little) and dropped that male teenage testosterone arrogance and pretentiousness (well, most of it)how much of it I enjoy and realize it wasn't below me, it was above me. Well put, RLC.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Since I was a kid and saw this in my sister's room, it has been one of my alltime favorite album covers. The music inside isn't too shabby either.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home