Monday, September 05, 2005

not working for the white man

I once had a job interview with a cross-eyed albino, and he was an asshole. I was talkative, outgoing, personable, and all of the other things that I am generally not outside of a job interview or court hearing, and he treated me like you would expect a man who had grown up both cross-eyed and albino to treat a man who had not. Still, I was the best Rex I could be. I just kept making excuses for him in my mind and trying to figure out what he was looking at. I told myself that I would probably be twice the asshole in his place.
Also, some of us have always been cross-eyed and albino on the inside, and I could relate, sort of.

At any rate, I bore him no ill will throughout the flood of condescension and snippy comments, and I instead found myself wanting to hold him to my bosom and pat his little cotton white head and tell him that it was okay.

But I didn’t because he also smelled like garlic.

The other thing I kept thinking of was Erskine Caldwell’s God’s Little Acre, in which a Georgia dirt farmer searches in vain for gold on his property. He and his sons eventually kidnap the albino who lives down by the swamp in a last ditch effort to find the gold, as albinos are supposed to have the gift for finding gold. It doesn’t work out, of course, and the albino ends up running off with the farmer’s daughter.

I was thinking about this and didn’t hear one of his questions. I had already allotted him a good five minutes of my attention span, and that is all anyone could hope for, regardless of employment ramifications or the uniqueness of one’s pigment.

He was obviously angry at having to repeat himself, but I no longer cared. The job didn’t pay enough to have to deal with him, and I thanked him for the interview and left.
There was a lesson here that the story was supposed to lead into, but I seem to have forgotten it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Palo Alto Online
"I've received countless calls and e-mails in support of Kepler's Books and Clark Kepler," Fergusson, who is organizing the really and workshop, said, "This is an opportunity for people to gather and express ...
Love your blog ! I'm bookmarking you!

I have a work at home site/blog. It touches on work at home related stuff.

Check it out if you get time :-)

12:24 AM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Was the albino offering a job in the blogspamming business? Cause it'd be extra okay if you'd shot him before turning him down.

You non-blogparty-attending loser person you.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Kitty,

I like blogspammers because they don't call me "loser". In fact, I was attending a blogspammer party last Thursday, and that is why I was unable to attend the other blogparty.

If I am able (and invited), I will try to make the next one.

Either that or I will send someone pretending to be me.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Stella said...

I'll have to agree...loser. Just within my little circle at the Saucer, you were in high demand.

And now...you've lost out. Next little soiree, I'll be on the left coast.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Now I feel guilty.

Despite being kind of a recluse, I probably would've attended if I didn't have practice for a wedding reception gig out of town next weekend. I gotsta honor the paying gigs, Miss Jill.

However, it warms my heart to know that I was spoken of.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Gunner said...

Ha. I had almost the same spam on my religious blog. he was pushing equity loans.

I changed my settings so that you would have to type in some random digits to post.

Supposed to keep computers from posting.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I kind of like it, though I'm pretty sure that they're not really bookmarking me.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home