Thursday, December 01, 2005

a holiday yard idea

I have a great deal of respect for the folks who cover their meager estates in Christmas lights, nativity scenes, plastic reindeer, and giant candy canes, but I could never be one of them. The juxtaposition of the baby Jesus amid novelty peppermint sticks and elves is an odd thing to display, and it is good to have a format for that sort of thing, but I lack the motivation to make it happen. It appears that the only sign of Christmas around Casa Camino might be the single line of lights Mrs. Camino wrapped around one of the plants out front. They are the simple white lights, and Mrs. Camino wasn’t sure if they were the outdoor variety.

When the rains come, we will know.

Anyway, it isn’t the sort of thing to pack Grandma and the kids into the car for. They may want to see some of my neighbors’ decorations, but many of those have been up since last year and were there for the gawking all summer.

We may not even put up a tree this year. There is a fine plastic pine wrapped in a couple of large garbage bags in the back of the attic, but it hasn’t seen the light of day since our first Christmas at Casa Camino a couple of years back. We left the decorations on it when we were packing it away, and I could hear some of the small red balls fall and break as I slid it across the hardwood den and pulled it up the stairs. There will be the thin plastic shards to deal with should I choose to unleash the tree, and I don’t know that I want to deal with thin plastic shards.

We had a small tree at Mrs. Camino’s apartment many Christmases ago. It sat by the window, and I’m sure that its meager lights did little to serve as a holiday beacon against the well-lighted Sonic on the other side of the parking lot, but it was nice to look at. The cat would often try to climb it. He would pull the tree down and nearly pin himself beneath it every time, and that was also nice to look at.

It was more the sort of thing you would pack Grandma and the kids into the car for.

The cat you know as Bukowski is too old and fat for that now. His kittenish enthusiasm and extra energy still show up on a regular basis, but we probably couldn’t count on him to constantly tackle Christmas trees in the yard for all the light seers. However, despite my love for decorated homes that flirt with and often cross the border of good taste, I would much rather see a yard full of cats tackling innocent Christmas trees just standing there in full holiday regalia.
One of you should work on that.

3 Comments:

Blogger H.U.T.S. said...

One of our cats climbed up the middle of our Christmas tree and take a nap in it until she was 3. It was the ugliest tree ever for those 3 years. Her weight bent the metal 'branches' on our fake tree. Luckily only a few ornaments were destroyed in the napping process. Aggravation at the cat was high those years. Ahh the good old days. Don't miss them.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I always remember those rowdy puppy and kitten phases fondly until I'm around a rowdy puppy or kitten. Then I don't so much.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya ##NAME##, just thought I'd say great post titled ##TITLE##. I'm looking for ##LINK## and I ended up here accidentally but I will make sure I return soon. Looking for in addition will keep me busy for a few hours.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home