Friday, July 07, 2006

yes, that was actually me

I hope I didn't try to fight anyone. If so, you should know that it is a drunken sign of affection in Alabama. We're like Klingons sometimes. Anyway, you could've easily taken me and it would've made for a good story.
In fact, here's a big blanket o' apology to cover any and all transgressions.
However, big thanks to Sarcastro and Auntee B. for allowing me to quietly hover around the first faces I recognized after disembarking from the elevator at the WKRN blogger meet up. It took me a few beers to get embarrassing obnoxious charming, but the switch finally flipped. It is a noticeable change, and in my mind it is often accompanied by those cheesy effects from the nineteen seventies TV version of "The Incredible Hulk", complete with sad piano theme.
Serioulsy, did I try to fight anyone?
Anyway, Auntee and 'Stro soon introduced me to Kat Coble and the incredible Huck. Huck showed me pictures of his many beautiful children and Kat let me give her a hug. I meant to hug other bloggers, but Bobby Krumm is the only other one I got to.
He's a groper, by the way.
The great Jon Jackson from Crap and Drivel was pointed out to me but I never got a chance to talk to him. At least, I don't think I did. Did I fight him?
I was standing between the lovely Mary Mancini from Liberadio when she was introduced to the lovely Kleinheider from Volunteer Voters (who mentioned something about wanting links and lots of them), but they did not fight.
Brittany is just as cute in person, and I remembered her Kevin from his days at Murfreesboro's now defunct Red Rose Coffeehouse. She would probably want a link as well, as she and the Kleinheider seem to bicker like siblings.
I finally got to apologize to Rex Hammock for the use of the name "Rex", but he didn't seem to mind. However, we began discussions about a class action lawsuit against Rex Noseworthy of the Nashville City Paper.
Blake Wylie laughed at me for still being on dial-up, but you really haven't seen one of his video blogs until you've seen it freeze in awkward facial expressions every few seconds.
I then fought him, I think.
I spent a long time talking to Newscoma and Squirrels on Snark about alien abductions, giant vegetables and other assorted small town newspaper stories. I certainly hope they make the trek for other gatherings.
Short and Fat isn't. He looks to be in pretty good shape and has a nice head of hair. I pictured him as being bald for some reason.
By the way, I look quite different from my profile pic. I'm Kenny Chesney bald under the fedora, and the stache was photoshopped. Some of you (I'm looking at you, Shauna) didn't think I was me. I sometimes don't think I'm me.
I think I fought me.
I met Jag while on a mad dash to the restroom. I didn't really get a chance to talk to her that much, but it may have been enough to move me into the "locals I've met category" alongside Ceeelcee. She was about to be brilliant but had to leave to see Newton at the 5 Spot.
I meant to talk to Ceeelcee more as well, but didn't. However, I didn't fight him either, as he was wearing a nice tie and looked quite spiffy.
I talked to the dailydiablogger from This is Smyrna about Smyrna of all things. I used to teach there. She had good news that turned out to be bad news and then no news at all, but news that I secretly hoped was actual news. It's a long story.
Sista Smiff's hair really is as cute as everyone says.
TV on the Fritz is taller than I expected. He expected me to be a skinny musician type. I'm not skinny.
I recall telling Chris Wage and Miss Amanda a story about Waylon Jennings as the evening came to a close but I can't remember why. They humored me. They are good people.
Kleinheider and I were the last to leave. I tried to charge my bar tab to Neil Orne, but the barkeep would have none of it. I should probably wear a toupee and bring Heather Orne next time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Newscoma said...

Your campaign tag is up at NiT with a lovely surreal pic of you.
It's the aliens, I'm telling you, making you appear this way.
I'm calling George Noory over at Coast to Coast immediately.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had I known you were there, I wouldn't have gone so quickly. However, Sarcastro was drinking pretty heavily, and quite frankly, I was scared. Drunken asbestos abatement contractors just creep me out.

Anyway, I do hate that I missed the opportunity. Hopefully there will be another one soon.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

So that's what Sarcastro does.
Drunken asbestos abatement contractors always make me run for the hills. I should have left when you did.
*shudder*

12:37 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I've gone from being relatively anonymous to having one scary ass pic posted on a heavily visited site. I need to get some Glamour Shots done and posted to make up for this.

I wish I had held on to that tag.

Stro pointed you out pretty soon after I arrived, Jon, but I had to quietly get my drink on before introducing myself. Next time indeed.

12:38 PM  
Blogger ceeelcee said...

You bring Heather. Save Theresa Weakley for me. Mrrrowr.

"Out of the Box," indeed.

5:00 PM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

Yes. I now want to put you in my pocket and take you home too, for I am in love.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Maybe I should start marketing pocket Rexes.

The Kleinheider was asked many questions about Theresa, CLC, and not all of them came from Blake Wylie.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

A pocket Rex?
I think you should go with the full-sized action figure.
Once GI Joe was shrunk nearly in half, his manliness was desecrated. The bigger GI Joe also had that cool fuzzy, linty hair insted of a hard plastic coif like a DEVO hair helmet.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had you brought the disembodied beard of Charlie Daniels, there would have been no doubt about your identity.

11:26 PM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

Will Pocket Rex Buzz?

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home