Monday, August 08, 2005

ibrahim ferrer 1927 - 2005

I was sad to hear about the passing of Ibrahim Ferrer yesterday at the age of 78. You can read the Rolling Stone obituary here.
Ferrer probably did more than anyone to promote the traditional Afro-Cuban "son" music of his native Cuba after coming out of retirement to essentially front the Buena Vista Social Club about a decade ago. He also worked with the Afro-Cuban All Stars and made some solo records.
He had a perfect voice and contagious enthusiasm for the music. If you've ever seen the Wim Wenders documentary you'll remember the scenes of Ferrer walking up and down the New York sidewalks in child-like amazement and happiness before their sold out gig at the Radio City Music Hall. That is what music is all about.

Gracias, Ibrahim.

1 Comments:

Blogger red molly said...

I didn't know the Ibrahim Ferrer had died. I saw the documentary and I'm glad Mr. Ferrer made it to Radio City Music Hall before he died. I too was sorry to hear about his passing. I'm going to go and listen to the Buena Vista Social Club CD.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home