Friday, September 23, 2005

stache dreams and rambling

Another good thing about landscaping is that you are not so concerned about your appearance. It is a good time to take some facial hair risks and maybe grow those porkchop sideburns or get that Mr. T haircut you've always wanted. On a lesser level, it is certainly a better environment than an office for taking another shot at that moustache you've sometimes dreamed of.

I thought we decided to give up on that.

We did, but this is not unlike a time of employment limbo. People don't care what I look like, so long as they don't have to prune and weed their own damn gardens.
You'll never look like Tom Selleck.
I know that now, but I can still be my own mustachioed icon.
You remember the last time, don't you.
Of course.
You looked like a really bad Freddie Mercury impersonator.
That really had more to do with the leather pants and the dog collar.
And all that man-love had nothing to do with it?
Stop that! These people don't know when you are kidding.
Why the hell aren't you at work right now?
I have the day off, and the cruelest of ironies is that my own yard desperately needs some tending to.
Ain't that a bitch.
It indeed is, disembodied voice. But I do prefer landscaping in Murfreesboro to working in the yards of west Nashville, as I am less likely to have to mow around a passed out Mindy McCready down here.
Laughing at others makes us feel better about ourselves.
It does when they are famous.
Or when they are sporting a subpar moustache.
You make a good point, italicized bastard. There was a guy who worked at Kroger's with a Hitler moustache a couple of years back, and my ego was certainly not threatened by him.
That was just bad taste.
Maybe it was, or maybe it was just a poor knowledge of history. Then again, maybe it was just that a forty year old guy who bags groceries for a living really has nothing to lose.
So, what have you learned from this?
That there are fates worse than weed pulling.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

A landscaper growing a mustache is sort of like the shoemaker's children going barefoot...I think.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I think it best not to provoke him, Huck. I often wake up in the strangest places when I challenge his authority.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rugged, self-assured, adult. These are the words that describe the man who wears a mustache. Yes, it says to the world I'm a man of action! But action tempered with maturity...like a fireman! or somebody's dad!"

The Tick

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home