Saturday, September 10, 2005

robocop gets his learn on

I could--and sometimes do--watch the History Channel all day. I don't care if it is a documentary about the Napoleonic wars , whaling in the 19th century, what Hitler had for breakfast, the history of New York's sewer system, or preferred facial hair styles of pirates. I have come to expect all manner of useless historical trivia knowledge from the History Channel, but I never expected it to be explained to me by Robocop.
It turns out that Peter Weller, the man who was both Robocop and Buckaroo Banzai, is now a professor at Syracuse University. He is featured on the channel's new series on Rome, and has done a great job on the parts I've caught so far. He is enthusiastic and much more animated than in his portrayal of the half robot/half cop who had to battle through his remaining human emotions to stay focused and catch a number of bad guys who were doing an assortment of things that bad guys did in the eighties.
Although, I did miss what he was saying the first few times, as seeing Peter Weller when and where one is not expecting to see Peter Weller can be distracting.
Kudos to you, Buckaroo. But let us pray that Rosie Perez does not become an expert in the sixteenth century sea trade.

6 Comments:

Blogger melusina said...

Wow, that is a bit of a shock. I didn't know there were any erudite actors out there! Especially ones who make movies like Robocop and Buckaroo Bonzai (even though the latter is under-rated).

We just started getting the History Channel on our satellite service here in Greece. I suppose the shows are all the same, but it is crap! Everything is repeated like 20 times a day for 3 days in a row. Of course, my husband is a History Channel freak nonetheless, thanks to his time spent in Nashville watching it.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

All the repeats don't really bother me now that it's football season. I will hate them in February, but they work perfectly for me at the moment.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You drew me in with that damn catchy title, Camino.

I'm left picturing some Rodanesque Robo clutching an upside down copy of Goodnight, Moon.

Then forced to ask mrs. smantix if she'd ever seen Peter Murphy getting his "learn on" the History Channel.
Only to discover that Murphy was Robocop's last name. And that Peter Weller did not quit Bauhaus to pursue a solo career.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's not forget Weller's fine portrayal of William S. Burroughs in "Naked Lunch".

9:40 AM  
Blogger melusina said...

Lol smantix!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Maybe he did, Smantix. Weller is actually an accomplished trumpet player and even had a jazz combo with fellow Buckaroo Banzai star Jeff Goldblum.

Peter Weller, we hardly knew ye.

I had thought about that, Sethro. I had a whole paragraph going about the connections between Burroughs and Caligula, but it was a bit risqué for younger audience members.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home