Monday, September 05, 2005

weekend review

How was your weekend, Rex?

Thanks for asking, disembodied voice.

It was great. We started off with the drive to Alabama on Friday afternoon, and I have to admit that I was in quite a funk from being glued to the Katrina coverage all last week and then watching its subsequent deterioration into political sniping.

However, all that quickly changed when Mrs. Camino put in So Much For the City by the Thrills and we sang along all the way from Franklin to Lawrenceburg. There is something so indescribable about putting on the right CD or record at the right time, and I won't begin to try and unravel the intangible mystery of good music now. I won't even give you a review of that particular CD, but I will say that it was the best thing I'd ever heard for that brief hour while we drove down highway 43 with the birds singing and the slight tinge of fall in the air from the occasional pile of burning leaves along the roadside.

What other CDs did you bring along?

That is a very good question, as the music one chooses for a trip--even when they often spend more time roaming the radio dial, as I often do--is probably more important than the actual destination. I knew I was going to be in the mood for sing-a-long material and left the jazz and bluegrass on the shelf while grabbing: The Delivery Man by Elvis Costello, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road by the Beatles, Soul Journey by Gillian Welch, The Dirty South by the Drive-by Truckers, Big Notebook for Easy Piano by Fluid Ounces, and ELO's Greatest Hits.

How was the game?

The experience of sitting in Bryant-Denny when they play "Sweet Home Alabama" just before the game starts is something everyone must experience at least once. It was great to be back in the atmosphere of college football, and my heart really goes out to those who don't appreciate the sport this time of year. It is another one of those indescribable experiences.

The beautiful Mrs. Camino was there on the Alabama side in her full MTSU regalia, and there was nothing cuter than the way she clapped for both teams because she likes them both and thoroughly enjoyed the competition.
I am one lucky bastard.

How was Tuscaloosa?

We made it there in enough time for beer and calzones at a nice Italian place in downtown T-town by the name of DePalma's. They also had a nice wine selection. The Camino Clan highly recommends it for your next Tuscaloosa outing.

What is the deal with asking yourself all these questions?
Don't be an asshole.
Anything else?
I was surprised to find that a number hurricaine victims are being housed in my hometown of Florence. We took some things over to a drop off location before heading back up yesterday, and I was happy to see that a warehouse was quickly being filled with an assortment of supplies and that the local evacuees were going to be given first dibs on what they needed. Also, there are quite a few are staying on the campus in Tuscaloosa who were given free tickets to the game.
Things like natural disasters really do bring out the best and the worst in people, and it really helped to see more examples of the best.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

Why aren't you blogging at TUIB?

Because I'm hording all the good stuff for my site, and none of those bastards like Faulkner anyway.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

This isn't my good stuff. I save all that for threatening letters to Katie Couric and a couple of ladies from the View.

Have you checked with the other bastards at TUIB? Have they empowered you to speak on their behalf (behalves?) regarding Faulkner?

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love political sniping... i hope they fire many people in charge and impeach bush... even if there's no chance of him being convicted... at least then he will have been tried for his actions instead of just another slap on his very sore wrist...

and where the f is cheney? do you think his underground domocile was in nawlins? i hope so...

tha b.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

There, there, tha b.

I don't think you really want impeachment here. Let's say just for shits and giggles that a magical political fairy grants you this wish, and that Dubya has to then call up U-haul and leave the White House in shame. Who do we have then? Yes, and I know you're Cheney fan. Even if Mr. political fairy is being generous and gives you endless wishes, I think that the ghost of Sonny Bono is in the line of succession before any Democrats or liberal Republicans.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Then again, I would probably vote for the ghost of Sonny Bono.

10:34 AM  
Blogger red molly said...

Road trips and good road music definitely go together. Now that we have an iPod and that’s what we typically take with us on a trip, I miss the ritual of selecting the appropriate CD to match the road being traveled. Several years ago on one of our trips to Merlefest we bought the brand new Gillian Welch Revival CD which we were awestruck over and played it continuously for the duration of the trip home. Sorry for the rambling, I just thought of the GW CD thing when I read your post.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I can't remember the last time I took a trip without having at least one GW cd in my arsenal.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes... I love THAT GW too... not so much the GW(B) that's in charge...

and as for impeachment... I just want it on his record like it's on Clinton's... I don't really want him deposed... just on his permanent record that he's a screw-up... ;-)

Cheney should have that too...

tha b.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home