Monday, April 03, 2006

spring careening

It was my first weekend off since early February, and I spent part of it behind the lawn mower. I filled the humid air with smell of cut grass and chopped wild onion with a hint of freshly ground dog shit and then came in smelling of these three and a thick coat of human sweat. My balding scalp and the back of my neck were beet red, and something about that state of affairs really signals the opening of Spring and embiggens one to shake off winter and again feel alive.
And when a man has really earned his stench, there is no better time for an afternoon beer.
Too bad I was out of beer. Sure, there is probably a Michelobe Ultra somewhere cowering behind the horseradish and cocktail sauces in the door of the fridge, but that isn't beer.
Then I cleaned myself up a bit and went shopping with the lovely Mrs. Camino. I was in the market for shorts. Trying to find new shorts is another Spring tradition, and whether it is due to seeing my legs for the first time in months or the techno music pumped into most of the clothiers, these trips often bear little fruit. Still, a day spent wandering around with Mrs. Camino is never a day wasted.
My third Spring tradition is to break out my cheap little cassette four track and lock myself away in the rexroom-turned-makeshift-studio for various recording projects. This is generally for my own amusement, but I figured I would share them here. It is the lowest of lo-fi, and anyone with dial up internet will have a bugger of a time trying to listen to a song without interruption, but I have put a few of them up at Myspace under the title of "the Kingsley String Band". I might switch the songs out occasionally, but it will primarily consist of some original instrumentals with the occasional cover thrown in. You can even download them, I think, but my connection is too feeble to attempt such a feat.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

Rex,

I sure hope you can make extra money.

Great stuff on MySpace

12:40 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Gracias, Kat.

Gracias also to anonymous, but I must warn you that my strict Baptist upbringing unfortunately doesn't allow for the mixing of fun and moneymaking.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

I really enjoyed your MySpace page. Shout out to Aunt B, who informed the world, thus I went running.
Lovely.

Baptists can't make money and have fun? I learn something new all the time.

9:10 PM  
Blogger chez bez said...

"Still, a day spent wandering around with Mrs. Camino is never a day wasted." - And all of the women said, "Awwwww." And they looked to their respective men and wondered, "will he ever love me like Mr. Camino loves Mrs. Camino?"

Great post. And I am off to make extra money. Or listen to myspace.com stuff.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, a day spent wandering around with Mrs. Camino is never a day wasted.

For you, perhaps...

clod...

2:33 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Is that you, dear?

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home