Wednesday, January 17, 2007

i dream of a breakfast supreme

Last night I dreamt that I found John Coltrane sitting on my front porch, which was rather odd because:
1. John Coltrane has been dead for nearly forty years.
2. I don't have a front porch.
Still, he was sitting there chainsmoking and looking out across my yard at nothing in particular and saying very little. In fact, the only thing he said was that he wanted to go get some breakfast but didn't have any shoes. So it was that I gave him my nicest pair of black leather shoes and we embarked on a five mile trek to the I.H.O.P., even though I had a perfectly good vehicle sitting in the driveway. Trane didn't say so, but I could tell he wanted to walk.
He didn't say much over breakfast either. He just sat there smoking between plates of bacon, sausage, and eggs. In fact, I had to do his ordering for him and somehow just took him as the sort of chap to show little regard for cholesterol and such.
I ordered myself waffles and a slice of key lime pie and then spread the pie over the waffles. I offered some to Trane, but he shook his head after taking a moment to stare at them and give the matter some serious thought.
I picked up the check when we were done. Trane rummaged through his overcoat and found some wadded dollar bills to leave as a tip. He then patted me on the back and said, "Thanks. Now wake up."
So I did.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spreading perfectly good pie on a perfectly good waffle - there might be a law against that in some Tennessee and Alabama counties. There might even be a law about dreaming that.

On a more serious note, this is all kind of weird 'cos even tho Coltrane has been dead 40 years - his wife Alice just died on January 12th. Wouldn't it be interesting if thousands of people are having odd John Coltrane dreams this week! Especially if they all involved breakfast and/or key lime pie.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

The pie thing was the weird part for me, as that is something I would never do in real life.

I read about Alice's death right after I posted this. Spooky.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be a great commercial like the one where the guy has Abe Lincoln and the astronaut in his kitchen.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

That commercial really bothers Mrs. Camino. The man is supposedly awake and having trouble falling asleep, yet he's talking to the characters in his dream.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

He is talking to a beaver.
Beavers, in my limited knowledge being that I have nothing to base this on, disturb me.
Trane isn't afraid of no damned cholesterol.
Dead people don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

7:38 PM  
Blogger ceeelcee said...

Plus heroin is an excellent blood thinner.

Or so I've heard...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

that's the best dream ever

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's all be sure and note here that the person who lives with the Queen of the Rodents just stated she is disturbed by beavers, and ponder this...

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home