Friday, December 09, 2005

rex's homemade christmas decorations

It was a slow day at work. A couple of coworkers were fashioning Christmas statues and ornaments from clay, and I was quick to join in, as I would much prefer arts and crafts to whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing there.

Anyway, their creations were quite good, while mine seemed a little more abstract. They were not necessarily Christmas themed, but it was determined that the addition of a Santa hat immediately rendered any figure full of the holiday spirit and therefore appropriate.
Upon completion, mine engaged in a tournament of sorts.
elephant-vs.-bronto
The Blue Christmas Elephant drew the dreaded Christmas Brontosaurus for the first match. Logic would dictate that the Christmas Brontosaurus would win, but logic never takes into account the sheer force of will. The Blue Christmas Elephant prevailed despite the Bront's clear advantage on paper, but that, ladies and gentleman, is why we play the game.
cactus-vs.-turkey
Next up was the contst between the Christmas Cactus and the Christmas Thanksgiving Turkey With Odd Rabbit-Like Feet So That It Can Stand Upright. In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that the second figure was a failed attempt at a bear. At any rate, the peculiar nature of the Christmas Thanksgiving Turkey With Odd Rabbit-Like Feet So That It Can Stand Upright proved to be too much of a mind game for the Christmas Cactus, and victory was awarded the Turkey.
elephant-vs.-turkey
So it was that the Blue Christmas Elephant faced the Christmas Turkey With The Name Too Long To Repeat Each Time He is Mentioned in a true battle for supremecy among the clay figures that I fashioned when I should have been doing whatever it is I do at this place of business. The Turkey again had the clear psychological advantage over the Blue Elephant, and things looked quite bleak until our hero realized that he had been created without eyes and therefore could not even see the Christmas Thanksgiving Turkey With Odd Rabbit-Like Feet So That It Can Stand Upright in the first place. He emerged victorious, and I eventually named him "Pepe" for some reason.
elephant
Well done, Pepe.
But the Christmas Thanksgiving Turkey With Odd Rabbit-Like Feet So That It Can Stand Upright began to bother even me, and so I shaped it to appear a bit more turkey-like and placed it into a pan made from siver clay. I then assembled the figures into a Nativity scene in the spirit of good sportsmanship and for a possible Christmas card photo.
clay-nativity
Perhaps not.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue Christmas Elephants rule!

6:23 PM  
Blogger chez bez said...

And I just knew that when I picked the Christmas Brontosaurus for my fantasy league, I had nothing to worry about.

Another day, another lesson in life.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

There just seemed to be too much hype surrounding the Christmas Bront this year.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home