Wednesday, July 20, 2005

the unsolved case of the androgynous drone

I was at one of my countless temp jobs a couple of years back when I overheard the following line: If that is a girl, she’s hot.

I was on my lunch break at the time and it came from the table behind me. I did a fake yawn or something equally cartoonish to give myself an excuse to turn and see three guys staring back at me. I quickly went back to my book. They had been talking about their wives and kids, then the weather, then weed-eaters, then people in their office, and eventually some new androgynous employee who may or may not be hot. Whoever said it said it with the same unashamed confidence that he had used to declare that Ryobi makes a shitty weed-eater. The other two nodded with the same confidence.

This was at a large financial company on West End. I was able to garner that they worked on the sixth floor where an endless sea of drones at their cubicles sat and browbeat customers over the phone about missed payments. I worked in a file room on the eighth floor but spent most of my breaks after that just wandering around the sixth floor to see this manly hot chick or feminine pretty boy. I saw many attractive women and many women who looked like they could possibly have been men, but none that I would put in both camps. Not a Hilary Swank in the bunch.

There is no moral to this story, and I don't know what made me think of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

Wait, but you turned around to see them staring at you...

Hmm. I'm no Nancy Drew, but I think I've solved this one.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Just Larry said...

My initial thought was the same as Aunt P's.

Then I was reminded of a time I was in Witchita Falls and went to a club with a few of the guys. This club had the loud music and sexy dancers on pedestals throughout the place.

We sat at a booth, and one of the dancers was right next to us. Of course one of the guys started talking about how he'd like to tap that @$$. Then she turned around, shaking her long blond locks out of her face.

You guessed it. Full beard. Beer came out my nose.

Ahh...good times.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Seeing as how they would've been staring at the back of my bald head, I initially ruled out myself. Then again, that was during my angora sweater and poodle skirt phase. Wow. What irony that would be.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This wouldn't have been Cat financial would it?

10:55 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I can neither confirm nor deny those rumors.

(Yes).

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home