Sunday, January 22, 2006

a day without football

Yesterday was painful. They do a good job of slowly weaning us from football by spacing the games as they do and then having the relatively insignificant dog and pony shows that are the senior bowl and the pro bowl, but it does very little to alleviate the pain and emptiness that accompany that first Saturday without football.

The first thing to fill the emptiness was regret. I thought back to the day of the Notre Dame - USC game and how I was helping my brother-in-law pour concrete that day and how I can never have that day back. I do not TiVo, folks. This blog existed on my typewriter for years before Mrs. Camino taught me how to use the internets, and you may recall that this is my IPOD.
Still, I don't blame my brother-in-law. He is more a NASCAR person, and it was my responsibility to have a better excuse at the ready and a stronger determination that football is more important than family.
I can't get into NASCAR. I speed and make left hand turns on a regular basis, and I do not consider myself an athlete while doing so.
Hockey and basketball will not fill the void either. Their entertainment value will certainly grow as the months put some distance between them and football and comparisons become less evident, but I cannot fool myself into thinking that I'm watching football. The Predators are doing well, and I am not above bandwagon jumping, but I would still prefer to be in the midst of even a lackluster Titans season.
No, I will fill the emptiness by hiking with the dog or spending time with family. They will, of course, be without the need of my assistance now. They will wait to pour their concrete, get married, give birth, or have major operations when football is in full swing, as family often does, and my love of football will be again put to the test.
My love will be stronger next season, by God.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am old now. i watch and enjoy football and what is worse, baseball (gasp!) and baseball will be back soon with it's 25 zillion games a season. this year i have the Olympics to fill the void somewhat. i love me some Olympics...winter....summer...it makes no difference...just love 'em.
What i really miss is the Laugh O' Lympics. now that was great. i rooted for what ever team snaggle-puss was on.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an idiot Rex! You may speed and make left turns, but you are by no means anything near to what a NASCAR driver is. I DARE you to go to a rae track and hop into one of these cars. You'd eat the wall before you completed one lap!

I think you are just jealous that NASCAR has More fans than your beloved football.

Sounds like a serious case of penis envy!

2:07 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

The winter Olympics are always fun, what with all the swoosh, swoosh and slippery slidey people who fall on the ice.

If you lived in Europe, you'd have soccer (ok, I'm supposed to call it football here, but I can't bring myself to do it) damn near all year round. They have been showing all kinds of soccer out the wazoo lately.
And don't forget the World Cup.

Of course, there is always baseball, my sport of choice. But it is more because I like the way the asses look in those pants. Usually.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boy! that anonymous guy must really like NASCAR...he done got pissed off!

i'd like to say that i doubt ole Rex would question the driving prowess of NASCAR drivers (although Formula One drivers might!...they turn left AND right.) but he might argue that NASCAR is an extremely boring thing to watch. now, i know people would say this about a lot of sports not the least of which being baseball and they may have a point but NASCAR fans are a different breed. some of these people have cannonized Dale "gone to race in a better place" Earnhardt....i mean honestly.
i don't know too many football fans that have "remember Walter Payton" stickers on their vehicles or anything like that...i don't get the Earnhardt thing...anyway....why am i still talking about this?

2:32 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I'm sorry to have offended you, anonymous. My comments were in jest, and I realize that NASCAR is more complex that speed and left hand turns.

It is mostly about proclaiming how much you love TIDE, NABISCO, and other assorted household items on the hood of your car.

Kudos to those boys and their commercial enthusiasm.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The answer to your troubles of how sucky sports will be for the next few months is to get WAY too into professional golf.

The day after the Super Bowl is the beginning of actual Golf Season. Forget the bullshit tournaments in Hawaii and the Bob Hope Classic which just wrapped up yesterday. That is bullshit pre-season warm-up. The true golf season starts with the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Bill Fucking Murray will be playing again this year. The course is owned and the tournament is hosted (usually) by Clint Fucking Eastwood. That right there fucks the Winter Olympics in the poop shoot. As far as competing with NASCAR, it is a lot more entertaining than watching the same twelve hillbillies drive in a circle for two and a half hours. Despite what the lowest common denominator will tell you.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I actually watch golf (and sometimes even NASCAR), Sarcastro. I can't play it to save my life, but I went to high school with Stewart Cink and started watching for him when he went pro. I never really knew him that well, but we have a few mutual friends. He was a couple of years ahead of me and sat beside me in Typing or some class along those lines.

He was always a super nice guy, but now he is a super nice guy with a shitload of money.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super nice guy with a shitload of money? Hello, pigeon!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Exador said...

Golf is as much a spectator sport as poker; both of which are for geezers that get too winded watching real sports.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So says the guy who would rather wear a dress than watch the NFL playoffs.

Exador, didn't you run track in high school? Oh, right, running home to pull your soiled sheet out of the window that your Mom put there to shame you isn't a sport. But you did learn to run fast, though.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home