Monday, March 06, 2006

crash?

Crash won best picture? Are you effing serious? Did I completely miss something here? That was supposed to be a thought provoking statement on race relations? Are we talking about the same film containing young black men stealing cars, racist cops, an angry Muslim, and Sandra Bullock?
I understand folks acting as if they really got something out of it, but that percentage of the population should only equal roughly the same number of people who read Dr. Phil or maybe have trouble locating Waldo. It shouldn't equal a majority number of academy votes.
I sat through Crash, and my first thought was that a more fitting title for the film would've been 40 Stereotypes/Cliches and a Funeral.
But there wasn't a funeral.
There was not. However, notice how you focused on that and not on the bit about the stereotypes/cliches.
Still, I hate to be completely negative here. Crash did contain boobies and stuff getting blowed up (though all too brief on both counts), but I think I learned more from any given episode of "Welcome Back Kotter".
I suppose that's why I don't get a vote.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kleinheider said...

I think I learned more from any given episode of "Welcome Back Kotter".

Indeed. Crash is a very mediocre effort. Good for an after-school special award maybe, but not an Oscar.

8:49 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

I have not seen Crash, but the blurbs I have seen make it look, well, kinda like how you described it. I'm tired of Hollywood lecturing me on race relations. But those films always seem to win.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

It was set in L.A., thus I imagine the "hometown favourite" pushed it over the edge.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Majors is a member of the Academy. Lee Majors voted for "Crash".
Therefore, "Crash" must be the bestest movie ever.

Logic is fun.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

You're not the only one Rex. I haven't seen it, but this guy has, and he was pretty brutal.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11700333/

4:04 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Wait, the endorsement of Lee Majors changes everything.

6:04 PM  
Blogger red molly said...

Rex, I agree with you about 'Crash'. When I had discovered on Monday the movie that had won best picture was 'Crash' I thought WTF. Heck I was hoping for 'Walk the Line'.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

"Crash" was unfortunately the only only nominated film I saw, but I have to think that "Walk the Line" would've been a much better choice.

Then again, so would've "Duece Bigalow: European Gigolo".

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home