Wednesday, February 15, 2006

the unforeseen pitfalls of success

It is all too easy to focus on the pay increase when one offers you a promotion. More burdens and responsibilities naturally come with the territory, and management will rarely be able to completely sugarcoat these aspects, but the dollar signs have a way of trumping any of the standard trade offs mentioned in the initial offering.
Still, you think you know what you're getting into.
However, the little things are the hardest to anticipate. You never think about things like having to communicate with your bosses directly on a more regular basis and how it will eliminate that lunch hour generally spent drinking in your car alone or how the subsequent lack of that special "Rextime" was all that separated this from a "real job" and Rex from a downtrodden "worker".
I guess I never really thought about people actually living like this.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just think to yourself about how much quicker you can get that new jazzmaster... mmmm... jazzmaster...

tha b.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I'm afraid that boat has sailed. I presently have my eye on other, seemingly more useful equipment that you would unfortunately not be able to employ in the same manner as the jazzmaster.

However, things change.

Stiff upper lip and all.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he's finally getting that "attachment" he has wanted for so long.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh I hope I find out tonight what it is... and I hope it's not ANOTHER swedish penis pump... you go through those things like... well, i'll let you finish the simile...

tha b.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

the other bad thing about work is that i'm often unable to get online and patrol my comments for phrases like "swedish penis pump".

I'm sure that won't attract any errant page views from inadequate Swedes.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I understand your problem, but let me assure you that the "Unforseen Pitfalls of Success" are preferable to the "Predictable Pitfalls of Having a Sucky Low-Paying Job."

Not that I would know or anything.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Oh it's still a low paying job, Lee. It just isn't the lowest anymore.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home