Sunday, February 19, 2006

another set of fives

Young Wooderson has tagged me, and I shall oblige.
Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot. (1) Huts (2) Karmadgeon (3) (insert name here) (4) Hits from 'da Blog (5) Rex L.
Next, select 5 people to tag: Forgive me if any of you have already been tagged or are not into this sort of thing, but the gauntlet is now being thrown before: Kat, Auntee, Knucklehead, Kleinheider, and Mel.
What were you doing 10 years ago? I was beginning my second semester at MTSU and working a few nights a week at a video store across the street called Videoculture. It only paid minimum wage, but we were often able to drink and smoke to our hearts' desire while renting out various "cult classics" and "smut". I spent the rest of my time sitting in the now defunct Red Rose coffee house or writing the most unreadable short stories on my typewriter back in my room at the Center Point apartments. It was a nice room, and I could see the "geographic center of Tennessee" marker from the back window.
What were you doing 1 year ago? I'm pretty much doing the same thing I was at this time last year (with the notable exception of this whole blogging thing).
Five snacks you enjoy: (1) peanuts (2) peanut butter (3) dark chocolate (4) sourdough pretzels (5) blueberries
Five songs to which you know all the lyrics: I'm horrible at memorizing lyrics. This fact is second only to my inability to sing and lack of patience to write songs in reasons why I'm not a singer-songwriter. However, I have managed to learn the lyrics to: (1)"Why Don't We Do It In The Road", by The Beatles, (2) "You Know My Name(Look Up The Number)", by The Beatles, (3)"Wild Honey Pie", by The Beatles, (4)"I Want You (She's So Heavy)", by The Beatles, and, for some reason, (5) David Lee Roth's version of "Just a Gigolo".
Five things you would do if you were a millionaire: I would: (1) not tell anyone that I was a millionaire. (2) travel more. (3) get a bigger house with room for a recording studio. (4) stop buying the cheap toilet paper. (5) pay a soulful horn section to follow me around throughout the day and accentuate my every move with some tasty riffs.
Five bad habits: (1) I've managed to pretty much give up my one pack of American Spirits a month cigarette habit and replace it with smoking my pipe once or twice a week. I know it isn't that bad, but it's still a dumb thing for a person so convinced that he will one day get cancer to do. (2) I talk to myself way too much. These conversations are often much less awkward than most of my interactions with other folks, but I still don't see it as a positive. (3) I bite my fingernails. (4) I am easily distracted and have horrible time management skills. (5) I often do a poor job of letting Mrs. Camino know how lucky I am to have her.
Five things you like doing: I love: (1) playing music. (2) teaching myself how to play various musical instruments. (3) roaming around wooded areas with my headphones on and the fat little Brittany Spaniel at the end of his leash. (4) aimlessly driving around the countryside with Mrs. Camino and the aforementioned Spaniel. (5) sitting down at the computer and blogging the sort of things I would otherwise be talking to myself about.
Five things you would never wear again: I wouldn't be surprised if fashion trends or life circumstances someday made a liar of me but I plan to never again wear (1) those "Jams" shorts that graced my (then) ample backside in the mid-eighties. (2) a work-related uniform with a visible company logo. (3) an old-school pre-Jordan too tight basketball uniform. (4) rented shoes. (5) make-up and a dress.
Five favorite toys: I am not much for gadgetry and I'm not sure if all these count as "toys", but I do enjoy and often waste my time with: (1) my self-modified 2002 honey blonde Fender precision bass. My walls also appear to be honey blonde. (2) my unmodified candy apple red Fender 60's reissue telecaster. (3) my Crosley Stack-O-Matic. (4) my Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator programs. (5) my burgeoning collection of first edition dime store "noir" paperbacks from the nineteen-thirties through the sixties.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I always think about that when I drive around listening to Al Green. It would kick so much ass to have a live horn section right there in the back seat who could then get out and follow me around.

It would be money well spent.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Hmmm. I used to (sort of) date a guy that worked at videoculture. It's not you, is it? :::skeered::::

3:06 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

You don't look familiar, Ivy.

I certainly understand the skeered part, as there were (and probably are) a number of scary people employed there. I could tell some stories.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Whew! Hahahaa.

You oughta tell some stories. I could tell some stories too, but it would probably shatter that motherly image I have going on, haha. ;)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ha, Jams! I bet you had a Mullett too!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

Everyone needs Theme music and a walkabout horn section would rule.

I want to know more about that collection of dime store paperbacks!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Tommy said...

Interesting...ten years ago at this time, I was in my second semester at MTSU, and sometimes I would rent Cult Classics and/or Smut from Videoculture.

Small World.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I remember renting smut to Pat Morita a number of times, Tommy. I suppose that must've been you.

The jams were nothing without the mullett, Julie.

So far my dimestore paperbacks consist of mostly Ross MacDonald works. I have all the Raymond Chandler works in modern hardback editions but hope to collect those in paperback eventually. Then it's on to Dashiel Hammett and Cornell Woolrich and then to a number of lesser known, more seedy examples of the genre.

5:55 PM  
Blogger red molly said...

Mr. Red Molly has "You know My Name (Look up the Number)" on the flip side of "Let It Be" was that ever recorded any place else?

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home