Friday, October 21, 2005

internet, i missed you.

We crawled back into Murfreesboro shortly after midnight. I had been behind the wheel for some ten hours and had suffered from a bit of insomnia the night before, and the hallucinations set in shortly after Knoxville.

Festus from "Gunsmoke" always makes an appearance in these situations. He is accompanied by the theme song from The Magnificent Seven and I have no idea why, but it bothers me.

"Gunsmoke" had its own theme song, didn't it?

Anyway, Mrs. Camino made sure to stay awake and keep me relatively sane. I should probably mention here that this was our sixth anniversary and that the incorrect total of five that I gave in the previous post was due to my common error of not accounting for the year 2,000. I did the math on my hands, and they were never Y2k compliant.

The Rexmobile complained very little for the near 2,500 miles we put her through over the past week. She has a few more layers of dirt and a new crack in the windshield, but she will live to ride another day.

And that day will be tomorrow, as I will be rising at some ungodly hour up to drive to Tuscaloosa for the Alabama-Tennessee game. I will certainly not be functioning at 100%, but it is my duty to cheer on the Tide and boo the Vols and their constipated baby Shih Tzu-looking coach.

But enough about that for now. I am more of a gloater than a trash talker, but my current inability to form a coherent thought makes neither a prudent option at the moment.

I had hoped to blog throughout the vacation, but promises of internet access proved to be nothing more than sad optimism coupled with a heavy dose of overzealous brochure writing. However, I'll post some vacation slides and recount what I can at some point this week.

Now I am off to pick up the pets and deal with their initial joy that will soon turn to scorn and resentment and then back to joy at feeding time.

4 Comments:

Blogger melusina said...

It was very nice of Ms. Camino to keep you sane at the wheel.

When my husband and I moved from the island of Kos to Litochoro, we had a ten hour boat ride followed by 6 hours in the car from Athens to Litochoro. I had very little sleep, but my husband had even managed a nap on the boat. But did he stay awake and keep me sane driving on the dark interstates of Greece at 4am? Of course not. That is the difference between men and women, I guess.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Stella said...

I had halluncinations starting in Knoxville a couple of years ago on my way home from the Outer Banks. The fact that there are two I-40W's in Raleigh turned my 12-hour trip into an 18-hour trip. With no cell phone charger. By myself. And I never get lost.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Mrs. Camino is quite the saint, Mel. I doubt that either of us could be considered "sane", but we tend to help one another maintain a level of functioning sufficient for the both of us to remain in polite society.

I also stay awake when she drives.

I think that Knoxville just has that effect on people, Jill. Road construction there is horrible (even by Tennessee standards), and the poor air quality can't help when attempting rational thought.

4:57 PM  
Blogger red molly said...

Glad you are back...you have been missed.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home