Wednesday, December 21, 2005

rex's holiday memories: new year's eve 1981

My older cousin sawed the handle end off of an aluminum baseball bat that year to use as a makeshift bazooka for his assortment mostly legal fireworks. He fired upon us as we ran around the open field. I remained relatively safe most of the evening, as my cat-like swiftness was evident even then. It felt good to be fired upon, and my young ego was embiggened.
Then I got singed by a mere bottle rocket and commenced to yelping like a little bitch.
Later on in high school I would engage in much the same thing every December 31st and 4th of July. The big difference then was that I was quite drunk, and there is no greater pain resisting and ego embiggening agent than alcohol.

6 Comments:

Blogger nashvilleredux said...

For the life of me I can't figure out why the superpowers in our neighborhood never used an aluminum bat instead of a wiffle ball bat. To think of the competitive advantages I would have had shooting (completely illegal in Connecticut) fireworks from out of of a solid, heavy launching platform. It's just good physics...

Where was this blog when I was twelve?

5:29 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I can at least help the 12 year olds of tomorrow.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best thing about Christmas fireworks battles was the ruining of the new Christmas clothes. There was nothing Mom liked more than seeing the new shirt she bought me tattered with bottle rocket burns.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will miss cheap, readily availbale fireworks this year as i will be in Sweden and i don't think thier love for backyard explosives even comes close to rivaling our own.
it has been many year since i have bought fireworks for christmas / new years but just knowing they are close at hand should i want to purchase them is always a great comfort to me.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Wally Bangs said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you Rex!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Indeed, Sarcastro. It should also be noted that bunny suits are quite flammable.

Tennessee is never wanting for fireworks. Folks in the 'boro need only visit the Church street exit. Take some to the Swedes, Sethro.

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yourn, Wally!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home