Wednesday, January 25, 2006

physical graphite

Something about broken pencil leads has always made me think of severed fingers, but it has to be the sort with wood still clinging to a majority of the circumference. I can see a small broken graphite point by itself and just see a broken pencil lead. Those do not give me pause when I open an otherwise empty desk drawer, but something about seeing a broken pencil lead with a fringe of wood causes a Bernard Herrmann film score to slowly build in the back of my mind.
I don't know why this is. It could be that the broken wood around it gives it a more flesh-like or human appearance, or there could just be something creepy about the now phantom pencil that it is no longer attached to.
Then again, seeing a pencil with a broken and missing lead does not bother me, and I do not suspect that they are behind the door hoping to catch me alone or biding their time at the back of an otherwise empty drawer just waiting for that perfect moment when the suspense has passed and I have breathe my sigh of relief to leap from the shadows and...
erase me, I suppose. There is not much danger to pose with the pointy bit missing.
Sometimes it is more a David Lynch moment than a Hitchcockian one, but the sight never fails to briefly derail my train of thought.
Then again, I suppose it is seldom on the tracks anyway.

7 Comments:

Blogger Exador said...

If your broken pencil pieces are waiting for anything, it would be to capture your hand and feed your fingertips into the pencil sharpener.

But that's just my guess.

11:47 AM  
Blogger chez bez said...

Physical Graphite is my fave Led Zep album.

Rock on!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

It is also mine, Michael, but there is some debate between myself and Aunt B on just how great it is.

Those those wounds had probably healed by now.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

I dare you to watch "Eraserhead" with
broken pencils scattered around the room. Face yer fear!!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

I dare you to watch "Eraserhead" with
broken pencils scattered around the room. Face yer fear!!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Now exador,
I have a misguided fear about my fingers going into an electric pencil sharpener.
It gives me the wiggums and makes me want to cry.
Of course, that's just me.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

I have several visual cues that jumpstart my neuroses, too:

Brown paper bags
Sharp, pointy metal things
Dwarves
Clowns

But mostly, dwarf clowns brown bagging their lunch and making little stabbing motions with a rusty fork. That's pretty much when my head explodes.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home