Monday, January 23, 2006

you gotta shake it, baby. yeah.

I made the mistake of watching the Weather Channel before leaving for work this morning. The weather guy and his perfect hair started on the California end of the map to tell me about the Santa Ana winds, and those soulful back up singers from Steely Dan’s "Babylon Sisters" began to smoothly roll out their line about that very same phenomenon. Once implanted, it would not leave my mind for the duration of the workday, and that is a hell of a thing to spring on a man on a cold and wet Monday.
Now, let it be known that Rex L. Camino has nothing but love for the Steely Dan. The world is divided into those who love them and those who hate them, and when the conflict is brought to a head and each side takes up arms to smite the opposition you can count Rex L. Camino to be on the righteous side of the Steely Dan army. I will probably wind up shooting myself in the foot, but Donald Fagen and Walter Becker’s gin soaked beat poetry over that tasteful blend of rock and jazz has been known to motivate people beyond their mortal confines. A bullet in the foot won’t hurt as bad as it would if I had taken it for the Captain and/or Tenille.

Still, having “Babylon Sisters” in my head tends to affect the way I walk around. I know that most songs tend to do that and that people are generally too lost in their own songs to notice that sort of thing in others (unless you happen to be transporting a can of paint down a city block with “Staying Alive” reverberating through the confines of your cranium), but Steely Dan can be a bit dangerous.

“Babylon Sisters” causes me to unintentionally creep around, and this only amplifies my already cat-like ability of movement. I often have the misfortune of sneaking up on people. In my mind I am announced by Donald Fagen’s crooning plea of “So fine so young. Tell me I’m the only one” or those same back up singers proclaiming “You gotta shake it, baby, you gotta shake it, baby. Yeah” in a hypnotic rhythm that is only interrupted by the sound of a scream or some other primitive sign of shock from those who do not expect me to be behind them. People who are holding things will sometimes drop the things they are holding. They will then say things like “damn, you’re quiet” or “I didn’t know you still worked here”.

I can only laugh it off, secretly curse that rat bastard in the hairpiece from the Weather Channel, and then do my best to pretend that I really do still work there.

9 Comments:

Blogger chez bez said...

You're a nut.

(I was going for eloquent and witty, but that's all I could come up with. Darn those beers!)

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel the same way about the often sample Steely Dan track "Black Cow". it sends me into a trance-like state of mellow-down-easy funk which borders on a tranquillty that any tantric buddhist monk would eat his robes for.

not bad for a band name after a fictious dildo.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Exador said...

Thanks a lot. Noe I've got it stuck in my head.

I'm going to go sneak up on my coworkers.

11:40 AM  
Blogger red molly said...

Well we have been in the not like categaory for sometime but our brother-in-law now an ex-brother-in-law used to always confuse Steely Dan with one of my husband's favorites groups Steeleye Span.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I always wanted to like Steely Dan--I guess because I felt like I was supposed to. They just never took for some reason.

Thanks for making me feel bad about that.

Fuckin' Steely Dan.

Best,
Ryan

12:02 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I'm always seeing Steeleye Span and getting confused, Molly. I've never heard them though.

But both you and Ryan should know that Steely Dan will still be there when you are ready.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Nashville Knucklehead said...

I had "My Old School" stuck in my head for hours the other day. Actually I had the specific horn line that follows "California tumbles into the sea" on infinite loop in my head.

There was no specific trigger for it. But it did involve California.

You are not alone.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Who doesn't love Steely Dan?

Aja, Deacon Blues, Hey Nineteen...

They are one of my favorites.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you have here! I have a hypnosis products site I think you might enjoy.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home