Monday, February 06, 2006

superbowl xl was indeed a stache landmark

This whole question of Superbowl XL being the first to feature a battle of mustachioed coaches somewhat troubled me throughout the day. I sort of threw that fact out there last night without really researching it, and the small part of me that spent a semester as a journalism major was a bit troubled by this. At first I thought it was my conscience. Then I laughed.
That was a good one.
Anyway, I researched it. It was relatively easy, as Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, Shula, Johnson, Parcels, Gibbs, and Belichick are all clean shaven. However, Mike Ditka is not, and Superbowl XX is the one that had me worried. Tom Selleck's Magnum, P.I. was at its height in those days, and it would have certainly been understandable for the coach of the 1985 Cinderella Patriots to sport a fine 'stache of his own, whoever he was.
More research showed that it was Raymond Berry, a former tight end with the then Baltimore Colts. Here is how he looked in 1959. It wasn't much different from his appearance in 1985.
Yes, the clean-cut Berry certainly looked as if he could share a laugh with the fellas and even engage in a bit of tomfoolery or horseplay, but I guarantee you there was no grab ass whatsoever in that locker room--not with Mr. Johnny Unitas and his symmetrical crewcut that warded off grab ass and such nonsense.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home